Non-surgical Options for Knee Osteoarthritis
There is a common myth that the only treatment options for arthritis of the knee are Tylenol, Ibuprofen, steroid injections, or surgery. Amazingly, few people are aware of the many effective non-surgical treatments available for osteoarthritis in the knees. I would like to outline some treatments available at Reflex for chronic osteoarthritis of the knees:
What Nonsurgical Treatments Are Available for Knee Osteoarthritis?
- Joint Fluid Therapy Knee Injections — Also called “viscosupplementation” and sometimes “Rooster Comb Injection Therapy,” joint fluid therapy is taking a natural protein – hyaluronan – and injecting it into the knee. In the course of natural aging, the fluid in our joints, which is called “synovial fluid”, becomes less effective in its ability to cushion, lubricate, and protect the joint. We can now inject a highly concentrated form of this natural protein directly into the joint, which has been shown in multiple studies to decrease pain and increase function.
- Advanced Knee Bracing Systems — Technology has come a LONG way in the bracing realm. Unlike simple neoprene knee “braces”, which have no ability to improve tracking or to offload an inflamed portion of the joint, newer knee braces are engineered to improve tracking and decrease wear and tear on the already-inflammed arthritic knee. Reflex offers knee brace systems that are designed specifically for the treatment of pain and symptoms of knee OA and for overall improvement of the knee.
- Supplements to Support Total Knee Health — There are many supplements which have also been proven to be an effective joint pain treatment. Not all supplements are created equal, so most experts agree that the highest quality supplements should be used. Reflex offers a full range of supplements to support your knee osteoarthritis treatment.
- Corrective Exercise — Proper strengthening of the muscles which support the knee is a key part of minimizing further degeneration and provides an important adjunct to slowing the advancement of osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Acupuncture — This modality has been demonstrated in multiple studies to decrease pain associated with ostoearthritis. Acupuncture may even provide a protective effect in patients suffering from chronic knee pain due to osteoarthritis. Our dedicated acupuncturist develops personalized programs for patients to help achieve long-term relief from knee pain.
Don’t be dismayed. As you can see, there are several options before consenting to a total knee replacement or other invasive surgical procedures. Learn more about the Reflex approach to treating knee osteoarthritis.