Before and aftercare for PRP
We want your PRP treatment to go as smoothly as possible. Please follow the instructions below.
Before Your Appointment
- If you have an acute illness within the week before your PRP, please call our office to discuss symptoms, as this may require that we reschedule your appointment.
- To decrease the risk of infection, we recommend that PRP not be performed within 48 hours of any dental procedures, including a routine dental cleaning.
- Please wear loose clothing that allows easy access to your arm and your knee(s).
- To help make the blood collection easier, drink plenty of water on the day of your appointment.
- Take a brisk 10-minute walk before your appointment, as this will increase the number of circulating platelets in the blood sample.
- Do not schedule your PRP appointment within 1 week of any vaccination.
- Do not schedule your PRP appointment within 6 weeks of any steroid/cortisone knee injections or oral steroid (Prednisone) use.
- Call us if you have any questions: 503-719-6783
- If your provider has prescribed you an anxiolytic medication (such as Valium or Xanax) to lessen your stress during the procedure, please take the prescribed dosage 60-90 minutes before your appointment.
- Please plan to have someone drive you to and from your appointment since you will not be able to drive safely if you have taken an anxiolytic medication.
After Your Appointment
- Reflex Salve will help. We highly recommend massaging in our own anti-inflammatory Reflex Salve several times daily during the week following your PRP procedure. The anti-inflammatory effects of the salve work via a different mechanism than NSAIDs – the salve can help reduce discomfort, without interfering with the PRP treatment.
- What are my activity limitations? We suggest avoiding strenuous or high-impact exercise (e.g., running or jumping) for 1-2 days.
- Start with low-impact exercises such as walking or using an elliptical and cautiously advance your regimen over the following 2-3 days.
- If you experience increased pain, rest for a few days and then restart with low-impact activities. The main point is that you ease back into your normal routine.
- Will I miss work? Although it is common for patients to have some mild soreness after PRP procedures, only a few experience significant pain.
- Although most patients return to work the next day, it is advised that you make necessary preparations in case your level of pain is greater than anticipated. If needed, we will gladly provide a ‘Doctor’s note’ for two days off work.
- When will I start noticing an improvement? The healing cascade is a complex process and is different for each individual. Some patients may notice early benefits after a few weeks, but most people should expect to wait about 2 months before significant improvement.
- What if I experience Pain? If you experience knee discomfort, use a heating pad on your knees for twenty minutes every hour until the pain improves.
- Complications following PRP treatments are rare. If you develop unexpected symptoms such as severe pain, significant swelling, knee redness, or a fever, you should seek immediate medical attention.
- Please contact Reflex and we will do our best to have a Reflex physician see you immediately. If this is not possible, you will need to see your primary care provider or be evaluated at an urgent care facility. If symptoms are rapidly progressing, you should seek evaluation at an emergency department.
- We are here if you have questions. Please call us if you have any questions. We want to help you achieve an optimal outcome from your PRP treatment.
Schedule a Consultation with a Knee Specialist Today
Most patients can improve their quality of life and get back to the activities they love without surgery. The team at Reflex Knee Specialists provides personalized care plans and education so their patients are informed about non-surgical treatment options. They have offices in Portland, Oregon; Bellevue, Washington, and Tempe, Arizona, and accept Medicare and a variety of other insurance plans. Through a comprehensive knee evaluation, our specialists help patients address a variety of issues and make informed decisions. For cutting-edge knee care contact us today!